Thursday, September 5, 2013

An extra special, extra relevant story time.

Sometimes the Best Learning Experiences Come 
When You Do Not Expect Them

Lately, there has been children asking me to read to them during the work cycle. Because I'm so pleased to see excitement for reading, I've agreed to read stories in the book corner (not to disturb other's work and focus). The best thing is, once I start reading, more children join on their own. Today when I was asked to read a story, I was prepared. I brought out My Abuelita (My Grandmother), a Pura Belpré Honor Book. 


Since we are celebrating Grandparents day tomorrow at school, I thought it was good timing to read a tale about a fun, eccentric Grandmother. Yuyi Morales did an incredible job with the artistry in the colorful pages, keeping the children intrigued to the very end. Check out a video about the book's creation here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_G8YNRwrE4.

Author Tony Johnston did a fine job of story-telling as well! The text incorporated a few Spanish words that seemed in perfect timing with our classroom happenings. We learned that huevo is the spanish word for egg and that calabaza is the word for pumpkin. How suiting that we have been preparing hard boiled huevos for snack and have calabazas growing by the front door of our school!

And the fun didn't stop at our new spanish vocabulary words. The booked talked about "yodeling", so we tried the tongue-twisting singing style ourselves and discovered we have a few good yodelers amongst us! Plus, when gathered together at lunch, we took turns sharing our special names for our own grandparents- Raja, Nanni, Papi, Nana, Grampy, Grammy, and Tita to name a few.

*** Enjoying the children's expanding love for books! And looking forward to more unforeseen learning opportunities!

No comments:

Post a Comment